When "Good" Cholesterol Is Bad For Chronic Kidney Disease & Dialysis Patients

Most Chronic Kidney Disease and Dialysis patients already know that High Cholesterol has been linked to Heart Disease, Heart Attack, and Stroke. However, recent research as well as news publications have made mention of two separate types of Cholesterol Low Density Lipoproteins (LDL) and High Density Lipoproteins. While LDL is typically considered to be the "bad" cholesterol, HDL is considered to be "good" for the body because it functions like a commuter bus that carries cholesterol, other lipids like triglycerides, fat-soluble vitamins and other substances through the bloodstream to the cells that need them.

Recommended Reading: Is the Cholesterol Medication Prescribed to CKD Patients Directly Responsible For Depression?

Hence, while about 15% of cholesterol comes from foods which Chronic Kidney Disease and Dialysis patients eat such as chicken, fish, beef, eggs, dairy or other animal products - the other 85% of cholesterol which is found in the body is produced naturally to complete important bodily functions. LDL cholesterol does raise the risk of Heart Disease, Heart Attack, and Stroke, but HDL has the opposite effects for most people. 

Recommended Reading: Study Finds That Recommended Cholesterol Levels Are Wrong For CKD Patients

However, Chronic Kidney Disease patients who conduct Hemodialysis and Peritoneal Dialysis often have impaired "good" cholesterol which may actually compromise their Heart Health instead of helping, according to a study appearing in an upcoming issue of the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology (JASN). Studies found that the time spent on Dialysis tended to correlate with the capability of HDL working effectively. 

Recommended Reading: Health Organization New Guideline Suggests Testing CKD Patients To Reduce Cardiovascular Risks

Researchers found that chronic inflammation associated with Chronic Kidney Disease and Dialysis "markedly alters the composition and decreases the function of HDL," said Dr. Gunther Marsche. Thus, while "good" cholesterol remains true to its name in the general population, it may have to be limited in those with Chronic Kidney Disease especially patients on Dialysis in order for their health not to go "bad." The results are especially important because Heart Disease is the leading cause of death in individuals with Chronic Kidney Disease as well as those on Dialysis. 

Recommended Reading: Statins May Cause Some Patients To "Pig Out." Study Findings Relate To CKD And Diabetic Patients

Chronic Kidney Disease and Dialysis patients should, therefore, discuss these new findings with their Healthcare Teams and determine what level of "good" and "bad" cholesterol falls within a safe range for them specifically. Also, click here and consider ordering the Dialysis Tailored Multivitamin, MV One Plus, which has been shown to reduce inflammation, and improve overall health outcomes in some Chronic Kidney Disease and Dialysis patients

Recommended Reading: Solution To Common Problem Of Harmful Inflammation In Chronic Kidney Disease Patients On Dialysis

Moreover, visit KidneyBuzz.com every day for the Latest Breaking News and Information about how those with Chronic Kidney Disease can better mange and improve their lives; and do not forget to Like KidneyBuzz.com on Facebook (click here) and Follow Us on Twitter (click here).

Most Popular Stories:

References:

"HDL Cholesterol: "The Good Cholesterol"" Http://www.webmd.com. WebMD, LLC.

"Benefits of Cholesterol: What Is It Good For?" Http://cholesterol.about.com. About.com Cholesterol.

"The 9 Irrefutable Benefits of Cholesterol in the Diet."Http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com. The Healthy Home Economist RSS.

"Dialysis Patients May Have Faulty 'good' Cholesterol."Http://www.sciencedaily.com/. Science Daily.