Traveling can be fun and therapeutic for Chronic Kidney Disease and Dialysis patients. Changing the routine, seeing new places, and/or visiting with loved ones can be refreshing and lift the spirits. Travel can also make Chronic Kidney Disease and Dialysis patients feel like they are living a more normal life. Hence, being on Dialysis does not preclude (prevent) patients from traveling or taking short trips. In fact, more and more patients are choosing to find avenues to travel and return home full of adventurous stories to share with their friends, family members, and/or fellow Dialysis patients at their clinics. Thanks to DaVita Kidney Care and Google Plus Hangout, travel days are just beginning for patients on Dialysis. Check out the following list of top travel destinations for Dialysis patients:
1. Las Vegas, Nevada: Vegas has consistently been chosen as the top travel destination for Dialysis patients because of its handicap-friendly venus, vast seating areas, reasonable hotel/inn options, family-friendly shows, affordable shopping, inexpensive casinos, and vibrant lifestyle. Needless to say, there's no shortage of activities. DaVita Kidney Care alone has 13 centers (many four-star and five-star options ranked by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service) in the area - allowing patients to access high-quality care while enjoying the city.
2. Orlando/Celebration, Florida: It is always a good time in Orlando. "Orlando is the perfect place for patients looking to spend time at the beach and visiting some of the most popular amusement parks," said DaVita Kidney Care. Patients have ample options for entertainment with attractions like Walt Disney World and Universal Studios Orlando nearby. Orlando has several convenient Dialysis centers for patients to receive the care they need.
3. Houston, Texas: A big "Howdy" from Houston! It is quickly becoming an even more popular destination spot for traveling Dialysis patients due to a large number of Dialysis Centers to choose from and the open space. Houston has an abundance of museums with plenty of areas to sit and rest. Houston's top attractions include a 17-block art district featuring topics ranging from fine arts to cultural heritage that captivate the interests of all ages, the nation's largest wildlife refuge, and the Space Center. Have fun!
4. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina: Myrtle Beach is one of the premier coastal resorts and is famous as a premier vacation destination. A bit more pricey, but a ton of fun with golfing, fishing, boating, windsurfing along with other outdoor activities. However, if you are seeking a more relaxing experience, you can take in an array of dinner theater shows, live music, casino cruises, or just sit on the beach (in your hotel room) and watch the water. Traveling Dialysis patients do not have to worry since there are several high-quality Dialysis Clinics in the area.
5. Atlanta, Georgia: Also know as ATL, Atlanta has a whopping 25+ Dialysis Centers located in the capital of the Peach State. Atlanta is home to some top attractions – including the largest aquarium and the world's largest painting in the United States. Atlanta has numerous museums dedicated to American History – the King Center (a memorial to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.), the house of Gone with the Wind author Margaret Mitchell and the Civil War Museum.
6. San Antonio, Texas: Just like their beloved Basketball Team, The Spurs, San Antonio provides a consistent and enjoyable experience. The second city in Texas to make the list has a number of good Dialysis Centers to choose from. Similarly, there are a number of great tasting restaurants that Dialysis patients can choose to eat at along the River Walk. A bit more of a slower pace, San Antonio offers local historic sites such as the Alamo and the San Antonio Missions National Historic Park. There is a lot of history, so give yourself some time to explore.
7. Chicago, Illinois: Whether you're taking a cruise along Lake Michigan or dining at the Signature Lounge on the 96th floor of the John Hancock Center, there is never a dull moment in the "Windy City." Often referred to as "Chi-Town", the city is home to Millennium Park which is filled with iconic statues and breathtaking gardens that will make visitors feel like they're in Versailles. Chicago is growing in popularity and with many very capable Dialysis Centers close, Dialysis patients can take some time to discover all of the culture that the city has to offer.
8. San Diego, California: The San Diego Zoo, The San Diego Wild Animal Park, and Sea World: Need we say more? San Diego is a livewire of fun and is ideal for animal lovers. Visitors are treated to several options, including tasty food (let the waiters and chefs know about your dietary restrictions), museums, and reasonably priced shopping. Patients have a chance to enjoy their vacation without sacrificing access to care with access to more than six (6) Kidney Care centers.
9. New Orleans, Louisiana: The unique traditions and distinct culture of New Orleans are unmatched by most other United States cities. Mardi The city is famous for its jazz music, French, Creole and Cajun cuisine, historic architecture, and festive parades. Visitors to New Orleans are inspired by its beauty. There are over twelve (12) Dialysis Centers in the area offering patients access to Dialysis while exploring the Garden District, experiencing a cruise on the Mississippi River or enjoying the views from the balconies of centuries-old homes in the French Quarter.
10. Los Angeles, California: In Los Angeles, popular destinations include the Venice Boardwalk, the Santa Monica Pier, and the Griffith Observatory. Strolling through the lavish shops on Rodeo Drive or visiting the Hollywood Walk of Fame are popular attractions. This city is rich with arts and entertainment. Locals enjoy watching their favorite artists perform at the Hollywood Bowl or viewing the latest art exhibits at the LACMA, MOMA, Getty Center or Getty Villa. There are incredibly over 25 Dialysis Centers within 25 miles of the city center.
This list was generated based on data collected in 2015 by the DaVita Guest Services Call Center. However, do you agree with the listed cities or did you see one or two missing? Share your response with the nearly 43,000 Friends who have liked the KidneyBuzz.com Facebook Page (click here). Also, follow the over 115,000 monthly viewers and visit KidneyBuzz.com every day for the latest breaking news and information which teaches those with Chronic Kidney Disease, Dialysis, Diabetes and High Blood Pressure how to better manage and improve their lives.