Common Poisonous Household Products Of Which The Chronic Kidney Disease Community May Be Unaware

brushteeth.jpg

When managing a household, people with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) can be inundated with personal struggles for survival as well as other responsibilities which make it easy to overlook little things that could in fact be toxic to their immune system. Due to impaired kidney function those with CKD, especially later stages, retain chemical compounds which under normal conditions would be "excreted into the urine and/or metabolized by the kidneys," suggests a 2008 study published in Pediatric Nephrology journal. In such cases, the blood starts accumulating toxins that do not get filtered out and this can potentially lead to uremic poisoning (circulation of urea and other waste products in the blood). Natural News reports that while the average person uses harmful chemical products in their home, the amounts used will probably not kill them, but "these hazardous chemicals do cause serious harm over time." Hence it is even more critical for CKD patients to be aware of common products that are dangerous to them, and make changes as they deem appropriate.

Recommended Reading:  Petroleum Jelly Such As Vaseline May Not Be As Harmless As Many CKD Patients Believe

  • Fluoridated Toothpaste: Fluoride, and thus fluoridated toothpaste, is toxic. It is a known carcinogen and is even a main component of rat poison. Fluoride which is also found in your tap water, has been linked to metabolic disorders, depression, reproductive disorders, passivity, lower IQ, childhood developmental disorders, weight gain, and cancer, among other problems. The National Kidney Foundation notes that "Fluoride blood levels are approximately 4-fold higher (4umol/L) in patients with CKD stages 4 and 5." Although you do not eat toothpaste you should still avoid fluoride build-up even in small amounts, as much as possible. 

  • Non-Stick Cookware: Non-stick cookware’s convenience masks the hazards of using it. While safe at room temperature, once heated, the chemicals that make it non-stick leech off into gaseous vapors that cause a variety of serious health problems including headaches, asthma, allergies, respiratory diseases, depression, immune system suppression, neurological problems and even cancer. The effect on humans will not be immediate but one may still be harmed from regular and repeated use of non-stick cookware. Consider cast iron and stainless steel cooking products as safer options for stove-top cooking, and oven-safe glass for baking. These pots and pans might be a little harder to clean, but may offer a safer health alternative for you and your family.
  • Laundry Detergent: Most laundry detergents are nothing more than a mix of toxic chemicals, with fragrances that fake a scent of natural smell. When you wear clothes washed by high chemical detergent, you inhale toxic fumes on a continual basis. Also when you perspire the chemical residues in your clothes, mix with your sweat and get absorbed into your body through open pores in the skin. You  may find a healthier option by trying a natural ingredient detergent. KidneyBuzz.com would not recommend any specific brand but you can ask for assistance in choosing the best product for you at your local grocery store. 
  • Household Cleaners: Typical household cleaning products are loaded with toxic chemicals. In fact, as many as 9 out of 10 calls to Poison Control Centers involve typical household products. Three of the most common household toxins are chlorine, sodium hydroxide and hydrochloric acid. A good non-toxic, environmentally safe cleaner will not contain any of these harsh chemicals.

Recommended Reading:  Mineral Found To Drastically Boost Protection Against Heart Attack, Stroke And Death In CKD Patients

Eliminating toxic chemicals from your home could improve your quality of life and greatly reduce risk of another medical complication. There are many things you can do to start down this path. One of the most important of which is removing harmful products out of places such as your cleaning cabinet, bathroom and kitchen. 

Like Us on our Facebook Page for more Daily News and Information about life with CKD and ESRD:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/KidneyBuzz/347471888696381?ref=hl


Most Popular Stories:

Substance Unknowingly Consumed Preventing Kidney Transplant And Increasing Risk of Diabetes
The Lifetime Of Chronic Kidney Disease Patients' Kidney Transplant Can Be "Significantly" Increased
Natural Ways Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Improve Oral Health And Increase Chances For Transplant

References: 

"4 Household Toxins Poisoning Your Family." Natural News Blogs.

Wahlgren, Sherri. "Toxic Household Chemicals - You May Be Poisoning Your Family." Http://ezinearticles.com/.

Vanholder, Raymond, Steven Van Laecke, and Griet Glorieux. "What Is New in Uremic Toxicity?" Http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/. US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health

Khan, Dr. Sumaiya. "Uremic Poisoning." Http://www.buzzle.com/

"Fluoride Intake in Chronic Kidney Disease."Http://www.kidney.org/Atoz/pdf/Fluoride_Intake_in_CKD.pdf. National Kidney Foundation