Ground Black Pepper
Sliced Yellow Onions
Dark Rum (Optional)
1. Combine pepper, onion, allspice, lemon juice, chili and garlic powders in small bowl.
2. Rub seasoning into all sides of pork.
3. Place pork into slow cooker. Cover with barbecue sauce.
4. Add enough water to slow cooker to measure 1/4 to 1/2 inches deep.
5. Cook on high for 5 to 6 hours.
6. Begin to limit the water for a more dry "barbecue-like" taste.
7. Remove from cooking liquid and shred meat using two forks.
Serve over a bed of rice.
*Note: Shredded pork can be used in a variety of ways including in soup, salad, or create a high protein breakfast by adding it to scrambled eggs.
Preparation of Barbecue Sauce for Diabetics
In a medium saucepan, heat 1tbsp of olive oil and saute 1 medium chopped onion until tender (about 5 minutes). Add the 1 1/4cup tomato sauce, 1 bay leaf, 1/4tsp. curry powder, 1tsp whit vinegar, 1/4tsp dry mustard, 1/4tsp. hot pepper sauce (optional), and 1tbsp. chopped parsley and simmer for 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and transfer the sauce to a container.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING